Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Catching Up with Mr. Fluid


If you have been around the hip hop scene in Jackson for a minute, you probably have heard of a dude named Mr. Fluid. But, you probably remember him as Verbal. After a few years in Colorado, Mr. Fluid is back in Jackson and is gearing up to rock the stage at Generation NXT at Dreamz this Sunday (click the link on the right of the page for more info). I caught up with Mr Fluid and we talked about all kinds of stuff. Check out the interview below.

BIO:

Mr. Fluid, born as Michael Norris, is one half of the Hip Hop crew Company of Strangaz which includes himself and DJ Kaotic, both originally from MS. In 2005, Company of Strangaz released New Day, their debut album that featured hard and soulful beats from NY-based innovator in drum n bass and trip-hop music, DJ Wally. Their sophomore release, The Vitaminz EP stayed true to their New York influence but a more organic sound with DJ Kaotic on production. While Fluid plans to release a mixtape soon, the latest project is a solo album by Mr. Fluid entitled Magnolia Magnificent, dubbed as a tribute to his home state. Being that both previous albums were released while living in CO, Mr. Fluid returns to MS with a concept album full of fresh sounds and new ideas. The bulk of production on the new album is executed by Fluid himself and shows an entirely different style of doing things than his previous work. Magnolia Magnificent is soulful, gritty, danceable and serious at times. The album includes guest appearances with Punchline, Kamikaze of Crooked Lettaz, Big Rube, Melatone, and Illabobcain. The album is a dedication to his roots in Jackson, MS where Mr. Fluid, also known as Verbal, made his rounds as a spoken word artist and began to emcee around 2001. Magnolia Magnificent is released 10 years later and uncovers a more mature artist hinting at new styles.


I know you were out of state for a while and just returned. Where did you go and why did you come back? Did you do music while you were gone?

I did move to Colorado in 2004 to get out of Mississippi for a while and see how life was outside of the "Bible-belt". I have a love-hate relationship with the south, as many people do with home sometimes. Also, I wanted to do music elsewhere and check out other scenes and see new things. DJ Kaotic and myself moved close to the same time and released two albums, collabed with many Colorado artists, did a lot of shows, and had much time to grow as artists. I came back however because all my family is here in MS and like that Crooked Lettaz song says, the south was on my mind. You can never escape struggle and you shouldn't try. It had been weighing heavy on my heart to give back somehow and to do that I felt I should come home. I felt it was time to return on a personal level and also I didn't feel quite finished with what I wanted to do here musically. I've seen far too much talent in Jackson and felt so much inspiration to not return, this state made me who I am and in a lot of ways so has Colorado.

Tell the blog about your music. What's it all about? What inspires you?

My music is a hybrid of NY Hip Hop and MS bounce with many other genres being picked up along the way, kind of a snowball effect. What I hope I'm accomplishing is something to be respected long after I'm gone. I wanna change lives but also have a lot of fun doing it. I want you to think but not so much that you can't dance to it. Most of my inspiration comes from what I read probably more so than what I listen to. People tend to turn away when music is too preachy, so I tend to walk a thin line at times. My fans, I suspect are like me and gravitate toward something important being spoken rather than the norm of just agreeing with what the last guy had to say. I highly respect the law of "No Biting!", so I'm always trying new sounds. You'll hear many styles on my album but always with a Boom Bap center and a message.


Who are your favorite recording artists, in any genre?

I listen to a lot of King Tubby, Easy Star All Stars, Mobb Deep, James Brown, Sam Cooke, Operation Ivy, Rancid, Wu Tang, Outkast, Killer Mike, Goodie Mob, A Tribe Called Quest, Leela James, Portishead, Guns N Roses, UGK, Brother Ali, Elvis Costello, The English Beat, Roy Orbison, Aretha Franklin, Roberta Flack, the list could go on without any particular focus because I like to switch it up. Different genres for different moods but mostly Hip Hop gets me amped to get up and move.

What projects do you have coming up?

I have a mixtape in the works with DJ 360 to promote my album, and of course the album itself, Magnolia Magnificent. You can keep up with progress by searching "Michael MrFluid Norris" on Facebook, "MrFluidFilms" on You Tube, and searching "Mr. Fluid" on Reverb Nation (or, just click HERE).


What do you want Jackson to know about you?

Jackson should know that it's the reason I fell in love with Hip Hop in the first place and that it left a lasting impression with me with Seven All Arts, MS Vibes, 90.1's MS Cipher, and many other open mics and venues that allowed me to grow and my love for this place and the people has brought me back. I'm excited to be home again and can't wait for the opportunity to return that love.

Thanks for reading. On your way out, check out a couple videos. Peace.



No comments:

Post a Comment