Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Interview with Back to Basics May Artist Marcel P. Black

On Saturday, May 14, Back to Basics brings in the Away Team for a very special Back to Basics. All of the artists on this month's edition are from the great state of Louisiana, our neighbor to the West. Click the link on the right for the full line up and more information.

One of the artists we are honored to have joining us is Marcel P. Black from Baton Rouge. Marcel brings a strong message and an amped up stage show that reps hip hop to the fullest. I got a chance to sit ask him a few questions to get a better look at the man, his music, his influences, and his thoughts on hip hop culture. Check it out.
1. How do you feel about coming to Jackson?

I am extremely excited about coming to Jacktown. I can’t say I’ve spent a lot of time in Jackson, but the time I have spent there, I felt very much at home. Jackson is a soulful city, and I like to consider myself a soulful person, as well as an artist that makes soulful music. The food is awesome, and the people are very friendly.

2. Talk about the style of your music. What's your message?

My style is very straight forward. Street. Smart. Soulful. Spiritual. Pro-Black. I’m a college grad who still tries to read a book week, so you can say it’s educated. When I was younger, I ran the streets a bit, so that definitely has a profound effect on my style. I try to take complex concepts and articulate them in an everyman-esque dialect.

As far as my message, If I could describe it in one word, it would be “Freedom”...

3. What are your top five music artists of all time (any genre)?

In no particular order... (Hip-Hop) Jay-Z, Andre 300, Rakim, Biggie Smalls, Mos Def

(Other) Foreign Exchange, Michael Jackson, Cee-Lo Green, Marvin Gaye, Curtis Mayfield

4. Talk some about 1Luv. What's your next project on deck?

“1Luv: A Hate Story” was basically about my love hate relationship with Hip-Hop... While writing it, I didn’t really listen to anything but the instrumentals. For the last 8 months, I’ve been studying Hip-Hop literature from authors such as Jeffery Ogbar, Dave Charnas, John Potash, Jeff Chang, Nelson Gorge, & M.K. Asante Jr., just to name a few, and it really had a profound influence on my writing. The ep was dedicated to my big cousins who taught me to rap, and put me on conscious Hip-Hop respectively when they were younger, but grew older and stopped listening to it all together. My goal was to make some music so ill that they couldn’t deny, that made them feel that same feeling they had that made them teach me about the culture.

The song “1Luv” was inspired by the 22nd Division of the Black Spades led by Afrikaa Bambaata & eventually turned into the Universal Zulu Nation, as well as the Nation of God’s & Earths. Both were extremely instrumental to ceasing the NYC gang violence in the 70’s, by preaching knowledge of self, peace, & positivity. I wanted to make a record that was catchy, easy on the ear, but still had a socially relevant message, one that said “Let’s come together and build, instead of tearing ourselves down.” The Black on Black crime in New Orleans & Baton Rouge was so high in 2010 that at one point, New Orleans was #1 in homicides per capita, & Baton Rouge was #5. It was a called to end the genocide and senseless violence in South Louisiana specifically, but the theme is universal.

The second part of this project will be titled “iLuv H.E.R. Too”. For this project I’ve been studying Hip-Hop that came out between ’86-’96 for the last 2 months. It is deeply influenced by Common, Rakim, KRS-1, & DJ Premier. My goal with this project is to really raise the bar on lyricism. On Common’s “I Used to Love H.E.R.” which came out in 94, he raps about what he loved, and what he missed about h.e.r. Well 17 years later, my goal is similar, but more than anything, I wanna display what I miss as a Hip-Hop head. Both projects were completely produced, mixed, & mastered by my cousin J-Philly out of Chicago... Guest features for the upcoming project include Baton Rouge’s Box & Il Duce so far, New Orleans emcee Elespee so far, with scratches by DJ Automatik. I gotta mega “1Luv” remix coming soon as well with several different artists from both B.R. & N.O. The “1Luv EP” is available now, and “iLuv H.E.R. Too” will drop late June or mid July.

5. What is the most important thing about yourself that you want Jackson to know?

That when I say “1Luv” I really mean it. I’m very humble and eager to build with & learn from others. I love people, & I love Hip-Hop with a passion. That I’m looking forward to networking with anyone with similar interests so we can better our collective situations in any and every capacity. That I plan to cut the fool when I get on the stage.


CLICK HERE TO COP MARCEL P. BLACK'S 1 LUV: A HATE STORY

Join Us Saturday night at Suite 106 for Back to Basics: Away Team Edition. See link on the right of the page for more information. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment